Keeping cards secure
Tips to keep your cards secure
- Monitor your quarterly statements, especially after an overseas trip.
- Check all transactions, even the small ones, because criminals try "testing out" stolen accounts by buying inexpensive items rather than large ones.
- Protect your cards as if they were cash - always keep them in a secure place.
- Report lost and stolen cards immediately and arrange for a replacement card to be issued to you.
- Do business with reputable merchants or vendors only.
- Notify Big Sky on 1300 654 321 if you detect anything unusual.
- Ignore unsolicited emails or phone calls seeking your personal or account information. We will only contact you to confirm details we currently have.
- Memorise your PIN (Personal Identification Number) - never write it down, and never leave a written copy with the card or in an easily identifiable location.
Verified By Visa
Verified By Visa
Verified by Visa is a service designed to ensure you are protected whilst shopping online with your Big Sky Visa Card (debit as well as credit cards). All Big Sky Visa cards (new and existing) are automatically registered for Verified by Visa.
As you make purchases online, Big Sky assesses the risk of the transaction based on a number of factors. In some instances, you may be asked to confirm some personal details, for example date of birth or address, so Big Sky can be sure the card isn't being used without your permission.
Verified by Visa can be used in most browsers however if you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer you will need version 5.5 and above or Netscape Navigator 7.1 and above.
Each time you make an online purchase, Big Sky assesses the risk level of the transaction to identify if certain activity may seem out of the ordinary, maybe because it is a high dollar value, or a retailer you have never purchased from before.
If Big Sky is concerned a transaction may be fraudulent, we will prompt you to confirm your identity, and you will be requested to enter some personal details unique to your account with us. If the transaction is considered high risk, you may be requested to confirm several details before the transaction is approved.
This additional security benefit is provided to you free of charge.
With fraud on the rise, Big Sky is always looking at new ways to counter issues and threats to our Customers Visa cards. We have implemented a service that provides 24 hour monitoring of cards 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. This new service is known as ‘Vigil’ and is provided by our industry partners CUSCAL, within a new division created called the ‘Fraud Bureau Service’. Customers can now be even more confident in the fraud prevention services Big Sky provides.
What does this mean for customers?
If there is suspicious activity on your VISA card you may receive a call from the Fraud Bureau Service (Vigil) on weekdays, weekends or even public holidays, to discuss any transactions or attempted transactions that could be fraudulent. You will be asked by Vigil to identify yourself as the account holder with some simple identity questions, then some questions regarding the suspicious transactions that may be occurring. Big Sky will then take action to stop any fraudulent transactions.
The Vigil Team will provide a valuable resource in spearheading Big Sky’s defence against fraud. If you have any questions about this service, please contact us.
When you are heading overseas, contact us to let us know. This will prevent VISA cancelling any payments they think might be 'suspicious'.
Make the switch to Big SkyFind out how
- Everyday Banking
- Everyday Account
- Info & Tools
- Mobile Banking app
- New Payments Platform
- Smartphone Payments
- Switch to Big Sky
Having financial difficulty?How can we help?